BY Brandon Voss
September 23 2011 9:00 AM ET
10. DVD: L.A. Zombie
Controversial director of films like Hustler White, The Raspberry Reich, and Otto; or Up With Dead People, art-porn auteur Bruce LaBruce is back with a sexually graphic critique of contemporary gay culture that must be seen to be believed — if not totally understood. Model and porn star Francois Sagat stars as a horny homeless creature who brings corpses back to life with his penis. Look for cameos by Matthew Rush, Santino Rice, and Tony Ward.
9. FILM: Limelight
Get a wicked contact high from Billy Corben’s fascinating documentary, which opens September 23 in limited release, about the rise and fall of nightlife king Peter Gatien, owner of legendary gay-inclusive Manhattan hot spots like Limelight, Tunnel, and Palladium — until Mayor Giuliani's mid-'90s drug crackdowns led to Gatien's deportation. The film includes interviews with famous club scene denizens and key informants in Gatien's trial.
8. BOOK: Idols, Gilles Larrain
Gilles Larrain captured the fabulousness of New York City’s gay liberation movement in vibrant Kodachrome for his 1973 collection of studio portraits featuring drag queens, transsexuals, and gender-benders like Warhol disciples Holly Woodlawn and Taylor Mead, Beck’s grandpa Al Hansen, and a teenage Harvey Fierstein. PowerHouse Books has just rereleased the book with a new foreword by gay photographer Ryan McGinley.
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Op-ed: How The Way He Looks Will Open Your Eyes
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant