BY Brandon Voss
October 28 2011 11:17 AM ET
7. ART: Bruce of Los Angeles: Beefcakes and Boundaries
Better known as Bruce of Los Angeles, photographer Bruce Bellas pushed the boundaries between art and obscenity with his homoerotic pin-up images of California bodybuilders in the ’50s and ’60s. Opening October 28 at Pop tART Gallery in L.A., an exhibit of his work includes issues of The Male Figure, his self-published physique magazine, and the work of contemporary artists inspired by Bruce’s style. For more info visit lapoptart.com.
6. MUSIC: Secret Codes and Battle Ships, Darren Hayes
The fourth solo album from Hayes is a fantastic throwback to the epic pop sound of the out Australian singer-songwriter’s Savage Garden success. Anchored by infectious lead single “Talk Talk Talk,” power ballad “Bloodstained Heart,” and lost-love lament “Black Out the Sun,” this easily relatable relationship-oriented collection floats on shamelessly catchy melodies, gorgeous string-heavy instrumentation, and intensely emotional lyrics.
5. THEATER: Next Fall
Making its West Coast premiere with a revised script, this terrific 2010 Tony nominee for Best Play opens November 2 at the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles. Out playwright Geoffrey Nauffts (pictured) also stars as a charmingly neurotic atheist embroiled in a faith-clashing confrontation when an accident lands his semi-closeted Christian boyfriend (Lone Star’s James Wolk) in the hospital. For more info visit geffenplayhouse.com.
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 17 min 45 sec ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 1 hour 28 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM