BY Brandon Voss
October 28 2011 10:17 AM ET
7. ART: Bruce of Los Angeles: Beefcakes and Boundaries
Better known as Bruce of Los Angeles, photographer Bruce Bellas pushed the boundaries between art and obscenity with his homoerotic pin-up images of California bodybuilders in the ’50s and ’60s. Opening October 28 at Pop tART Gallery in L.A., an exhibit of his work includes issues of The Male Figure, his self-published physique magazine, and the work of contemporary artists inspired by Bruce’s style. For more info visit lapoptart.com.
6. MUSIC: Secret Codes and Battle Ships, Darren Hayes
The fourth solo album from Hayes is a fantastic throwback to the epic pop sound of the out Australian singer-songwriter’s Savage Garden success. Anchored by infectious lead single “Talk Talk Talk,” power ballad “Bloodstained Heart,” and lost-love lament “Black Out the Sun,” this easily relatable relationship-oriented collection floats on shamelessly catchy melodies, gorgeous string-heavy instrumentation, and intensely emotional lyrics.
5. THEATER: Next Fall
Making its West Coast premiere with a revised script, this terrific 2010 Tony nominee for Best Play opens November 2 at the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles. Out playwright Geoffrey Nauffts (pictured) also stars as a charmingly neurotic atheist embroiled in a faith-clashing confrontation when an accident lands his semi-closeted Christian boyfriend (Lone Star’s James Wolk) in the hospital. For more info visit geffenplayhouse.com.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 2 hours 24 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM