The Best Overlooked Films
BY Advocate Contributors
November 15 2011 5:00 AM ET
Tomboy, directed by Céline Sciamma
A winning French tale about a 10-year-old who lives as a girl or a boy depending on the people around.
Joe + Belle, directed by Veronica Kedar
A dark Israeli comedy about two girls who fall in love with each other and their country en route from Tel Aviv to Sderot.
Weekend, directed by Andrew Haigh
A star-crossed romance about the connection made between two gay men.
Gun Hill Road, directed by Rashaad Ernesto Green
A searing drama about a transgender teen’s relationship with her convict father.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015