The Best Overlooked Films
BY Advocate Contributors
November 15 2011 5:00 AM ET
August, directed by Eldar Rapaport
A steamy melodrama explores whether gay men ever let go of their great loves.
Becoming Chaz, directed by Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato
This documentary follows Chaz Bono’s transition in the public eye, with girlfriend Jennifer and mother Cher along for the ride.
We Were Here, directed by David Weissman
Ultimately uplifting documentary about 1980s San Francisco—ground zero of the AIDS epidemic—and its people.
Vito, directed by Jeffrey Schwarz
Documentary about the colorful life of film historian Vito Russo.
Wish Me Away, directed by Bobbie Birleffi and Beverly Kopf
Heartwarming documentary about the coming-out of country musician Chely Wright.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete