The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
Modern Family (ABC)
This very funny family comedy posits gay dads Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) as the yin-yang of modern parenting.
Gay son Ian (Cameron Monaghan) and grandma Nana (Chloe Webb) are part of the Gallagher clan around which this family dramedy is set. There are four supporting gay or bi characters, including one played by Persian-American actor Pej Vahdat and two black lesbians (portrayed by Carlease Burke and Miss Doty).
John Barrowman plays one of the sexiest men on TV: Capt. Jack Harkness, the former Time Agent and con man from the 51st century, who battles extraterrestrial and supernatural threats. And he’s proudly bisexual.
Spartacus: Vengeance (Starz)
Lucy Lawless (Xena) is the bisexual Lucretia. And there’s explicit sex, plus sexy men and women in togas. A win-win.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either