The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You didn’t even have to watch the show to see this season’s hottest scene: Actors Loras (Finn Jones) and Renly (Gethin Anthony) manscaping each other. It’s a viral smash.
Flirty forensic specialist Angela (Michaela Conlin) is a nerdy wet dream, and even though she’s married to a man, the bisexual character hasn’t been forced in a hetero closet.
The Simpsons (Fox)
Long tackling gay themes like same-sex marriage and “Homerphobia,” with guest stars like John Waters and Harvey Feinstein, The Simpsons has two out queers in Springfield, specifically Patty Bouvier (Julie Kavner) and Waylon Smithers (Harry Shearer).
In a refreshing twist, in a show about male sex-workers, the bisexual guy isn’t one of them. Damon Drecker (Charlie Saxton) is a Detroit quasi-goth who is exploring his sexuality and identity, and his dad just happens to be a ho.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- WATCH: Ariz. High School Throws Out Ballots for Lesbian Homecoming Couple
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks