The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 4:00 AM ET
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You didn’t even have to watch the show to see this season’s hottest scene: Actors Loras (Finn Jones) and Renly (Gethin Anthony) manscaping each other. It’s a viral smash.
Flirty forensic specialist Angela (Michaela Conlin) is a nerdy wet dream, and even though she’s married to a man, the bisexual character hasn’t been forced in a hetero closet.
The Simpsons (Fox)
Long tackling gay themes like same-sex marriage and “Homerphobia,” with guest stars like John Waters and Harvey Feinstein, The Simpsons has two out queers in Springfield, specifically Patty Bouvier (Julie Kavner) and Waylon Smithers (Harry Shearer).
In a refreshing twist, in a show about male sex-workers, the bisexual guy isn’t one of them. Damon Drecker (Charlie Saxton) is a Detroit quasi-goth who is exploring his sexuality and identity, and his dad just happens to be a ho.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 2 hours 47 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM