The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You didn’t even have to watch the show to see this season’s hottest scene: Actors Loras (Finn Jones) and Renly (Gethin Anthony) manscaping each other. It’s a viral smash.
Flirty forensic specialist Angela (Michaela Conlin) is a nerdy wet dream, and even though she’s married to a man, the bisexual character hasn’t been forced in a hetero closet.
The Simpsons (Fox)
Long tackling gay themes like same-sex marriage and “Homerphobia,” with guest stars like John Waters and Harvey Feinstein, The Simpsons has two out queers in Springfield, specifically Patty Bouvier (Julie Kavner) and Waylon Smithers (Harry Shearer).
In a refreshing twist, in a show about male sex-workers, the bisexual guy isn’t one of them. Damon Drecker (Charlie Saxton) is a Detroit quasi-goth who is exploring his sexuality and identity, and his dad just happens to be a ho.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps