The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You didn’t even have to watch the show to see this season’s hottest scene: Actors Loras (Finn Jones) and Renly (Gethin Anthony) manscaping each other. It’s a viral smash.
Flirty forensic specialist Angela (Michaela Conlin) is a nerdy wet dream, and even though she’s married to a man, the bisexual character hasn’t been forced in a hetero closet.
The Simpsons (Fox)
Long tackling gay themes like same-sex marriage and “Homerphobia,” with guest stars like John Waters and Harvey Feinstein, The Simpsons has two out queers in Springfield, specifically Patty Bouvier (Julie Kavner) and Waylon Smithers (Harry Shearer).
In a refreshing twist, in a show about male sex-workers, the bisexual guy isn’t one of them. Damon Drecker (Charlie Saxton) is a Detroit quasi-goth who is exploring his sexuality and identity, and his dad just happens to be a ho.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 2 min 8 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 15 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 48 min 44 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 51 min 40 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 1 hour 14 min ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 1 hour 23 min ago