What You Need to Know Before Nuptials
BY Steven Petrow
November 18 2011 10:00 AM ET
Who pays for the rings? If there’s one prevailing custom today, it’s that most lesbian and gay couples shop for their rings together and pay for them jointly.
What do I call the members of my wedding party? If the ceremony is at all formal, many couples are opting for the catchall phrase “honor attendants” to refer to all of these helpers.
There’s no longer a mother of the bride and mother of the groom, so whose mom has the right to pick her dress first? Ah, yes, traditional manners dictates that the bride’s mother choose her outfit for the wedding before the groom’s. In the new world order, the two mothers-in-law-to-be are just going to have to talk to each other and coordinate.
Must parents walk down the aisle with their son or daughter? No, many same-sex couples who are about to marry are older, and there’s no pretense of them being “given away.”
Do we change our names? More and more couples are hyphenating their names, choosing one partner’s family name, or creating a new name. Still, if you’re like most same-sex couples, you’ll stick with your original surnames.
How do we refer to each other after we marry? This is the number 1 question I get from both same-sex couples and their straight friends. You may prefer to stay with “partner” or to refer to each other one way among your gay friends and another way out in the world. But we’ve worked hard to gain the right to legally marry, so I’m an advocate of letting the world know that someone has officially pronounced us “husband and husband” or “wife and wife.”
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 7 min 59 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 23 min 12 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 37 min 5 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 39 min 45 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 51 min 34 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 55 min 6 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 57 min 40 sec ago