BY Jeremy Kinser
February 11 2012 4:42 AM ET
4.TV: 100 Greatest Women in Music
The media-fueled rivalry between Madonna and Gaga will surely be stoked as music network VH1 honors the most notable female musicians of the past two decades, and rabid fans of Janet and Whitney will likely root for their favorite. Tori Amos, Gloria Estefan, and Macy Gray are among the entertainers who offer commentary on the countdown on this five-night special. Premieres February 13 on VH1. Vote for your favorite here.
3. FILM: Private Romeo
Iambic pentameter never sounded so sexy as when delivered by Matt Doyle and Seth Numrich (both accomplished Broadway actors) while shaving in a locker room in this modern-day military high school-set gay reboot of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Director-writer Alan Brown mixes contemporary asides with the revered text, tosses in YouTube videos, social networking, and lip synching, and gets committed performances from his charismatic leads as star-crossed young lovers who are also soldiers-in-training.
2. BOOK: Full Service, Scotty Bowers
Scotty Bowers, one of the underground legends in Hollywood's shadowy history, finally ends decades of discretion to tell his story — and it's a doozy. Blurbs from esteemed authors Gore Vidal and John Rechy lend credibility to Full Service (Grove Press, $25), in which the pansexual Bowers astonishingly recalls setting up same-sex trysts for filmland icons such as Katharine Hepburn, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, his own threesome romance with reputed couple Cary Grant and Randolph Scott, a passionate evening with an unstable Vivien Leigh, and verifies rumors that J. Edgar Hoover was a cross-dresser. Whether or not you believe him, it's the juiciest memoir in ages.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM