And the Awards Go To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
Actor in Beginners
"It's released him," veteran actor Christopher Plummer tells The Advocate of Hal, his character in Beginners, referring to his decision, following the death of his wife, to reveal that he's gay. "Coming out like that is a wonderful gift to have at that age." Director-screenwriter Mike Mills, who based the character on his own father, has given Plummer a present just as rich. After decades of memorable roles, the 82-year-old actor has found yet another — one that may prove his most indelible — in which he delivers a deft performance of great subtlety, remarkably free of cliché, that has deservedly already won a lion's share of critical accolades and year-end honors.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 17 min 59 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 27 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM