And the Awards Go To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 13 2012 5:00 AM ET
Tom Cullen & Chris New
Actors in Weekend
Director Andrew Haigh's engaging drama about the immediate bond formed between two men who meet in a gay bar and spend the next 48 hours together isn't just the best-reviewed LGBT film of 2011, it's the best-reviewed romantic movie of the year. Weekend derives much of its authenticity from the completely realistic performances of its relatively unknown stars, Tom Cullen and Chris New. New, who is gay, tells The Advocate that Haigh gave the two actors room to improvise. "Just having the freedom to do whatever we wanted was incredible," he says. "And it led us to that naturalistic style."
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Armond White: The Long Day Closes Is The Greatest Gay Film Ever Made
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- PHOTOS: Charlie's Gay Angel
- Op-ed: Why The Gay Panic Defense Must Go