And the Awards Go To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 13 2012 5:00 AM ET
Tom Cullen & Chris New
Actors in Weekend
Director Andrew Haigh's engaging drama about the immediate bond formed between two men who meet in a gay bar and spend the next 48 hours together isn't just the best-reviewed LGBT film of 2011, it's the best-reviewed romantic movie of the year. Weekend derives much of its authenticity from the completely realistic performances of its relatively unknown stars, Tom Cullen and Chris New. New, who is gay, tells The Advocate that Haigh gave the two actors room to improvise. "Just having the freedom to do whatever we wanted was incredible," he says. "And it led us to that naturalistic style."
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?