And the Awards Go To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
Screenwriter for Young Adult
Cody does women right. Reteaming with Juno director Jason Reitman for Young Adult, Cody has created a fantastic, feel-bad movie about delayed adolescence. Charlize Theron is Mavis, a young-adult author who, in a fit of selfish angst, goes to her hometown to break up the marriage of her high school beau, just after his wife gives birth to their child. She meets a former classmate (Patton Oswalt) who was mistakenly gay-bashed, and he tries to encourage her to see her own selfishness, to no avail. Filled with Cody's signature naturalistic dialogue, Young Adult depicts Mavis's narcissistic meltdown. As of press time, Cody, Theron, and Oswalt had all been nominated for Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards, and Cody — who won an Oscar for Juno — may see more noms for her original screenplay.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 9 min 19 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 35 min 7 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 40 min 10 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 3 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 7 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 10 min ago