And the Awards Go To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
Screenwriter for Young Adult
Cody does women right. Reteaming with Juno director Jason Reitman for Young Adult, Cody has created a fantastic, feel-bad movie about delayed adolescence. Charlize Theron is Mavis, a young-adult author who, in a fit of selfish angst, goes to her hometown to break up the marriage of her high school beau, just after his wife gives birth to their child. She meets a former classmate (Patton Oswalt) who was mistakenly gay-bashed, and he tries to encourage her to see her own selfishness, to no avail. Filled with Cody's signature naturalistic dialogue, Young Adult depicts Mavis's narcissistic meltdown. As of press time, Cody, Theron, and Oswalt had all been nominated for Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards, and Cody — who won an Oscar for Juno — may see more noms for her original screenplay.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 1 hour 22 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 1 hour 31 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 2 hours 14 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC 3:49 PM