BY Jeremy Kinser
March 09 2012 1:55 PM ET
7. THEATER: The Color Purple
The sapphic love between Celie and Shug Avery is only slightly more explicit in the soul-stirring musical adaptation of Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize–winning novel than in the famously de-sexed Spielberg film, but it's still one of the few Broadway musicals — if not the only one — to depict a love affair between women of color. Opens tonight at West Hollywood's Celebration Theatre.
6. EVENT: Voiced! Silver Lake's Female Festival
With performances of The Vagina Monologues, film screenings, and live comedy, this is more than just an estrogen overload, it's your chance to celebrate sisterhood and the voices of female performers. Saturday through April 30 at the Lyric Hyperion Theatre in Los Angeles. Proceeds will benefit the downtown L.A. Women's Center. For more information, go here.
5. TV: Fashion Star
The life of one of 14 unknowns — including out designer Kara Laricks — will be forever changed by host Elle Macpherson and celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie, and John Varvatos, in what's billed as "an exhilarating fashion show that's unlike anything seen." The much-anticipated new series will also feature musical performances, dancers, and models in front of a studio audience. Premieres Tuesday on NBC.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Op-ed: My Bi Choice
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Louisiana Judge Strikes Down State's Marriage Ban