BY Jeremy Kinser
March 09 2012 1:55 PM ET
7. THEATER: The Color Purple
The sapphic love between Celie and Shug Avery is only slightly more explicit in the soul-stirring musical adaptation of Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize–winning novel than in the famously de-sexed Spielberg film, but it's still one of the few Broadway musicals — if not the only one — to depict a love affair between women of color. Opens tonight at West Hollywood's Celebration Theatre.
6. EVENT: Voiced! Silver Lake's Female Festival
With performances of The Vagina Monologues, film screenings, and live comedy, this is more than just an estrogen overload, it's your chance to celebrate sisterhood and the voices of female performers. Saturday through April 30 at the Lyric Hyperion Theatre in Los Angeles. Proceeds will benefit the downtown L.A. Women's Center. For more information, go here.
5. TV: Fashion Star
The life of one of 14 unknowns — including out designer Kara Laricks — will be forever changed by host Elle Macpherson and celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie, and John Varvatos, in what's billed as "an exhilarating fashion show that's unlike anything seen." The much-anticipated new series will also feature musical performances, dancers, and models in front of a studio audience. Premieres Tuesday on NBC.
- Commentary Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth 1 hour 59 min ago
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 2 hours 58 min ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 5:53 AM
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM