BY Jeremy Kinser
April 13 2012 4:40 PM ET
4. FILM: Hit So Hard
Patty Schemel, the gay and scorchingly talented drummer best-known for her work with Courtney Love’s seminal rock band Hole and now six years sober, is remarkably candid while detailing her rise, drug-related fall, and recovery from substance abuse. Director P. David Ebersole tells her story using new interviews with other musicians, including other female drummers, and vintage concert footage, and of course, there's the always fascinating and typically uninhibited Love, speaking up for her longtime friend and often with her mouth filled with food. Most touching, though, in this cautionary tale is home video of Kurt Cobain playing tenderly with baby Frances Bean, just months before ending his own life.
3. TV: Girls
Sometimes you can believe the hype. HBO’s highly touted post-recession antidote to its own Sex and the City lives up to and exceeds expectations. Wunderkind Lena Dunham draws on her own life, including her "multiple gay ex-boyfriends," to write, direct, and star in this eminently quotable, naturalistic half-hour dramedy about four 20-something females wondering what to do with their lives in Brooklyn.
2. MUSIC: Scissor Sisters, “Only The Horses”
The irresistibly catchy first single from the band's upcoming Magic Hour album
(out May 28) finds Jake Shears and gang teaming with super-producer
Calvin Harris for this soaring track that could — fingers crossed — finally
take the band to the next level in the States. Listen to it here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 38 min 27 sec ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 41 min 18 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 41 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM