Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 12:56 AM ET
Kyle Hernandez • 28
Kyle Hernandez is striving to solve the world’s energy problems by helping increase the sustainability of biofuels and food crops. But another goal of the Texas-based biologist is to show underrepresented groups that there are people just like them doing amazing things with science.
After he completed his Ph.D., Hernandez’s work was honored by the National Science Foundation with a prestigious postdoctoral research fellowship that focuses on broadening participation in biology. In addition to his work in the lab, Hernandez speaks at a local community college hoping to inspire minority students interested in transitioning to a four-year college in pursuit of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics degrees.
“It’s a great opportunity to encourage a wide range of talented students from extremely diverse backgrounds to follow their dreams,” he says.
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 6:00 PM