Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 1:56 AM ET
Kyle Hernandez • 28
Kyle Hernandez is striving to solve the world’s energy problems by helping increase the sustainability of biofuels and food crops. But another goal of the Texas-based biologist is to show underrepresented groups that there are people just like them doing amazing things with science.
After he completed his Ph.D., Hernandez’s work was honored by the National Science Foundation with a prestigious postdoctoral research fellowship that focuses on broadening participation in biology. In addition to his work in the lab, Hernandez speaks at a local community college hoping to inspire minority students interested in transitioning to a four-year college in pursuit of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics degrees.
“It’s a great opportunity to encourage a wide range of talented students from extremely diverse backgrounds to follow their dreams,” he says.
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 38 min 2 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 51 min 2 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 11 min ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 30 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 38 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 2 hours 2 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 2 hours 16 min ago