Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 1:56 AM ET
Ernesto Dominguez • 23
Youth Technology Specialist, Cascade AIDS Project
Holding hands in public should be an act of affection. But for same-sex couples, it’s also often one of bravery, even in liberal Portland, Ore. Two men there were enjoying the view from the city’s Hawthorne Bridge last year when they were jumped and beaten by a group of as-yet unidentified attackers.
Resident Ernesto Dominguez quickly organized a solidarity rally on Facebook. “Let’s take back our bridge and show the community we won’t stand for this hatred,” he recalls of the event’s impetus.
Dominguez works as the youth technology specialist for the Cascade AIDS Project and drew on that experience, using social media to bring more than 4,000 people back to the bridge a week later, where they all joined hands. Appreciation for Dominguez’s efforts spread beyond Portland—in March the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force presented Dominguez with its Paul A. Anderson Youth Leadership Award. His thank-you speech, in which he talked about being both a gay man and an undocumented immigrant, was widely shared among activists.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 2 min 53 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 45 min 7 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 25 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 31 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 27 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 57 min ago