Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 12:56 AM ET
Mallory Wells • 26
Public Policy Director, Equality Florida
Mallory Wells knows the people of Florida. Born in Lakeland, raised in Orlando, now living in Gainesville, the 26-year-old bisexual is the only lobbyist in Tallahassee solely devoted to LGBT issues.
“The state legislature in Florida is a lot more conservative than the people of Florida are, and it can be difficult at times,” Wells says. “Four years ago people used to tell me they didn’t have any gay people in their district, and most legislators did not understand that LGBT Floridians can be fired from their jobs just because of who they are. Now every single legislator has had an LGBT person sit in their office and explain to them what it is like to be an LGBT Floridian.”
Mallory helped pass an LGBT-inclusive antibullying bill (“the first time the words ‘sexual orientation’ or ‘gender identity’ were uttered on the floor of the Florida House and Senate,” she says), and her next goal is helping to elect Florida’s first out legislator. She just needs to find a candidate first.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 36 min 11 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 35 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 35 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 2 hours 6 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM