Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 12:56 AM ET
Kevin Hauswirth • 28
Social Media Director, Office of the Mayor
Not long ago, if you had opinions about how your city should be run, you visited your alderman, wrote letters, or perhaps just grumbled to yourself. Now you can also share your input online, and you might hear back from the mayor, at least in Chicago. With social media director Kevin Hauswirth and two other technology team members, Mayor Rahm Emanuel aims to make city operations “transparent like never before,” Hauswirth says. He facilitates communications between citizens and the mayor through Facebook, Foursquare, Google+, and other platforms, including a website where Chicagoans can offer suggestions for budget priorities.
Thanks to Hauswirth, some citizens saw their ideas reflected in the most recent budget, and some received a call from the mayor. Whatever the next social media platform is, “we’ll be there too,” says Hauswirth, who adds that the mayor is not only tech-savvy but LGBT-friendly as well. Emanuel has officiated at civil unions (“It’s really inspiring to see your boss up there,” Hauswirth says) and supports full marriage equality.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM