Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 1:56 AM ET
John Campbell • 24
Treasurer, City of Harrisburg
Partying, landing a job, and dating are often priorities for 24-year-olds. John Campbell’s concern, saving the capital of Pennsylvania from financial collapse, is a bit weightier. Campbell was elected in November as the treasurer for Harrisburg, a city of 50,000 that’s $300 million in debt. Campbell, the executive director of the Historic Harrisburg Association and an economics student at Lebanon Valley College, is working with a state receiver to right Harrisburg’s books.
Campbell’s resistance to auctioning off city property puts him in opposition to Mayor Linda Thompson, who allegedly directed homophobic comments at another gay staffer. “The question isn’t the mayor’s opinion on gays,” Campbell says. “It’s whether she’s competent.”
Campbell doesn’t rule out running for higher office. “If there’s a need by the community, I’m willing to reevaluate my situation,” he says, sounding very wise.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 2 hours 46 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM