Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 12:56 AM ET
John Campbell • 24
Treasurer, City of Harrisburg
Partying, landing a job, and dating are often priorities for 24-year-olds. John Campbell’s concern, saving the capital of Pennsylvania from financial collapse, is a bit weightier. Campbell was elected in November as the treasurer for Harrisburg, a city of 50,000 that’s $300 million in debt. Campbell, the executive director of the Historic Harrisburg Association and an economics student at Lebanon Valley College, is working with a state receiver to right Harrisburg’s books.
Campbell’s resistance to auctioning off city property puts him in opposition to Mayor Linda Thompson, who allegedly directed homophobic comments at another gay staffer. “The question isn’t the mayor’s opinion on gays,” Campbell says. “It’s whether she’s competent.”
Campbell doesn’t rule out running for higher office. “If there’s a need by the community, I’m willing to reevaluate my situation,” he says, sounding very wise.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM