Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 12:56 AM ET
John Campbell • 24
Treasurer, City of Harrisburg
Partying, landing a job, and dating are often priorities for 24-year-olds. John Campbell’s concern, saving the capital of Pennsylvania from financial collapse, is a bit weightier. Campbell was elected in November as the treasurer for Harrisburg, a city of 50,000 that’s $300 million in debt. Campbell, the executive director of the Historic Harrisburg Association and an economics student at Lebanon Valley College, is working with a state receiver to right Harrisburg’s books.
Campbell’s resistance to auctioning off city property puts him in opposition to Mayor Linda Thompson, who allegedly directed homophobic comments at another gay staffer. “The question isn’t the mayor’s opinion on gays,” Campbell says. “It’s whether she’s competent.”
Campbell doesn’t rule out running for higher office. “If there’s a need by the community, I’m willing to reevaluate my situation,” he says, sounding very wise.
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 2 min 19 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 14 min 17 sec ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 15 min 48 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: An X Factor for Grandma's LGBT Bowling League 5:00 AM