BY Dan Avery
January 30 2009 12:00 AM ET
Aside from their access to marriage rights,
what’s the difference between American and
European gay guys? Well, I don’t know how much of an expert
I am, even though I’ve dated my share of both.
But I think people in Europe are much more willing to
commit to relationships. Americans seem a lot more cautious.
Maybe it feels like that because my experience is
specific to New York and L.A., which are like the
capitals of non-commitment! [Laughs]
One thing I loved about the film is how, when the
relationship has totally unraveled, who gets to keep the
apartment becomes a major point of contention.
That’s a very New York perspective. Oh, definitely! I have neighbors next door who
used to be a couple -- they broke up, but they still
live together in their railroad apartment. Then one
had his boyfriend move in, and now all three share one
apartment. So one of the guys has to walk through the
other’s bedroom to get to his own room.
They’ve been doing it for years now. It’s a
very New York thing.
What’s next for you? I just codirected a film called The Big Gay
Musical, which is a romantic comedy about two gay actors
in an off-Broadway production. It’s the first
time I did a project that I’m not also writing
and producing. It’s on hold right now while the
producers secure more funding.
Was it hard being a hired gun after working on your
own projects for so long? Oh God, no, it was a huge relief! As a producer,
you’re so conscious about how much everything
is costing. We had a truck crash while we were filming
Big Gay Musical. The truck was totaled, but
the equipment we needed inside was fine, so I didn’t
even care about the accident. Had it been my own film,
I would’ve been pulling my hair out. I’m
definitely looking to be a hired gun again.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM