Shout Out: Sex Positive
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 02 2009 1:00 AM ET
Dear Sex Positive documentary subject Richard Berkowitz,
You have our eternal thanks for being one of the earliest voices of reason in the midst of the AIDS crisis in the 1980s. It’s shocking to look back, in the new film Sex Positive (directed by Daryl Wein and based on your book, Stayin’ Alive), on a generation so resistant to the idea of safe sex. You forced gay men to take a long, hard look at their lives and dared to suggest that our lifestyle of excess was not liberating us but killing us. We’re sorry that in the frustration of devoting your life to ending the disease you lost your way, became an addict for a time, and ended up broke and forgotten. As the rates of HIV infection continue to climb, we hope your story will serve as a cold reminder to a new generation and that you can now live your life in a place of honor, not obscurity.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men