A Strong Statement... For My Wife
BY Rhiza Dizon
February 23 2009 1:00 AM ET
A month and a half
later, Strong gave courageous testimony before the Washington
state legislature. Her story was influential in helping to pass
the state's domestic-partnership bill, which provides
hospital-visitation and end-of-life decision rights to
registered same-sex partners. Strong continues as
an active spokeswoman on behalf of the Gay and Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation, and has been appointed by Gov.
Chris Gregoire to serve on Washington State's
human rights commission.
After the screening at
the Writer's Guild Theater, Rothmiller, Thompson,
and Strong spoke about the documentary and the urgency for the
story to be told, especially following the aftermath of
Proposition 8. The documentary humanizes the struggle for
"It's going to
take the voice of everyone in this room to fight this
battle," Rothmiller passionately urged the audience.
"My story is
unique, but it's not unique in that the fact that every single
day people are denied to be with the person they love,"
Strong said. "I'm not alone in this issue. It's about anyone,
it's about anyone who's ever loved someone. Love speaks louder
For My Wife
was a true testament to that.
premiered at the Seattle Gay and Lesbian Film
Festival, taking three awards, and is scheduled to
premiere in the Australian cities of Sydney and Melbourne in
the coming months. The screening in Los Angeles was a
collaboration between the WGA, and the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force in conjunction with Honor PAC, the Jordan-Rustin
Coalition, API Equality, and the the Writers Guild of
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM