A Strong Statement... For My Wife
BY Rhiza Dizon
February 23 2009 12:00 AM ET
A month and a half
later, Strong gave courageous testimony before the Washington
state legislature. Her story was influential in helping to pass
the state's domestic-partnership bill, which provides
hospital-visitation and end-of-life decision rights to
registered same-sex partners. Strong continues as
an active spokeswoman on behalf of the Gay and Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation, and has been appointed by Gov.
Chris Gregoire to serve on Washington State's
human rights commission.
After the screening at
the Writer's Guild Theater, Rothmiller, Thompson,
and Strong spoke about the documentary and the urgency for the
story to be told, especially following the aftermath of
Proposition 8. The documentary humanizes the struggle for
"It's going to
take the voice of everyone in this room to fight this
battle," Rothmiller passionately urged the audience.
"My story is
unique, but it's not unique in that the fact that every single
day people are denied to be with the person they love,"
Strong said. "I'm not alone in this issue. It's about anyone,
it's about anyone who's ever loved someone. Love speaks louder
For My Wife
was a true testament to that.
premiered at the Seattle Gay and Lesbian Film
Festival, taking three awards, and is scheduled to
premiere in the Australian cities of Sydney and Melbourne in
the coming months. The screening in Los Angeles was a
collaboration between the WGA, and the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force in conjunction with Honor PAC, the Jordan-Rustin
Coalition, API Equality, and the the Writers Guild of
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 2 min 34 sec ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 1 hour 22 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Transgender Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site December 10 2013 9:08 PM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM