A Strong Statement... For My Wife
BY Rhiza Dizon
February 23 2009 1:00 AM ET
A month and a half
later, Strong gave courageous testimony before the Washington
state legislature. Her story was influential in helping to pass
the state's domestic-partnership bill, which provides
hospital-visitation and end-of-life decision rights to
registered same-sex partners. Strong continues as
an active spokeswoman on behalf of the Gay and Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation, and has been appointed by Gov.
Chris Gregoire to serve on Washington State's
human rights commission.
After the screening at
the Writer's Guild Theater, Rothmiller, Thompson,
and Strong spoke about the documentary and the urgency for the
story to be told, especially following the aftermath of
Proposition 8. The documentary humanizes the struggle for
"It's going to
take the voice of everyone in this room to fight this
battle," Rothmiller passionately urged the audience.
"My story is
unique, but it's not unique in that the fact that every single
day people are denied to be with the person they love,"
Strong said. "I'm not alone in this issue. It's about anyone,
it's about anyone who's ever loved someone. Love speaks louder
For My Wife
was a true testament to that.
premiered at the Seattle Gay and Lesbian Film
Festival, taking three awards, and is scheduled to
premiere in the Australian cities of Sydney and Melbourne in
the coming months. The screening in Los Angeles was a
collaboration between the WGA, and the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force in conjunction with Honor PAC, the Jordan-Rustin
Coalition, API Equality, and the the Writers Guild of
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM