Mary Lynn Rajskub: Little Miss Sunshine
BY Brandon Voss
March 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
Have you ever dated a gay man?
My first kiss and the first guy I was in love with was a gay man. It was in junior high, and he was years away from knowing he was gay. I remember seeing him when we were in our 20s, and he would not come out and say it. He just kept saying, "Yeah, there's someone that I'm dating," and saying "this person" instead of "he" or "she." I was like, "Aw, man, let it out!" Another really good friend of mine and I had a sexual experience, and he later turned out to be gay too. But I look back on it so fondly because it was one of his first sexual experiences, so I was like, "Oh, he trusted me!" It was a very special time.
You'll next appear on the big screen as Amy Adams's character's best friend in Nora Ephron's Julie & Julia. How do you make the archetypal romantic comedy "best friend" role memorable?
Great question, but I don't know if I have an answer. I just kind of show up and hope for the best. 24 is so intense and extreme, and even a movie like Sunshine Cleaning is odd, so sometimes I just want to be the friend in a romantic comedy where there's good lighting and I can have my hair brushed.
Janeane Garofalo, whom you replaced as a regular on The Larry Sanders Show, joined the cast of 24 this season as FBI agent Janis Gold, a fellow computer whiz. You're often asked in interviews about a romantic future between Chloe and Jack Bauer, but what are the chances of Chloe and Janis having a hot lesbian affair?
You really took it there, didn't you? [Laughs] I think the chances are pretty good.
How might that go down?
The world is about to end, stress levels are high, and they have to blow off steam somehow. There would be some anger involved, some tech talk, and they'd push each other up against a large hard drive.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 2 hours 19 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM