Little Miss Sunshine
BY Brandon Voss
March 10 2009 11:00 PM ET
You and boyfriend Matthew Rolph have decided to remain
unmarried even after the birth of your first son, Valentine, in
July 2008. Do you not believe in marriage?
I always thought that I wanted to get married. Every guy that
I'd date, I'd be like, "This one I'm
marrying." I was brought up thinking you're supposed
to get married, and it would always be in my face. But what
I've realized is that I don't really care that much.
Having said that, now that we have a kid we probably will get
married at some point, because I do think that's important.
I'm not cynical towards marriage; I think it's wonderful.
Oh, my answer is crazy, isn't it? I start by saying I'm
not into it, and now I'm like, "I love it!" But
you understand. I like the idea of it, and if people want that,
they should have it.
Valentine is a beautiful name, even for a boy, but let's be
honest: He's probably going to need to butch it up once he gets
to high school.
Nobody else would come out and say that in an interview. I love
] Well, it was Matthew's great-great-grandfather's name, and
two weeks before he was born we were like, "It's the name
of a Roman god, it's strong, it's unique." We
really didn't think it was that weird or feminine until we
went to his first pediatrician appointment and they were like,
"Is she ready?" We were like, "What did we
] But he's got a lot of different ways he can go with it: Val,
Your boyfriend's very attractive, but dating a personal
trainer sounds extremely stressful to me. I'd always be
self-conscious about my body and scared to snack in front of
Yeah, but the funny thing about him is that he loves to eat
sugar -- although he'd kill me for saying that, because we
generally eat pretty healthily. But all we did while I was
pregnant was watch TV and eat ice cream. It was the
So which contestant are you rooting for on
That blond girl with the tattoos. I watch more TV now than ever
since being pregnant, having the baby, and being more
homebound. My boyfriend got me into
The Biggest Loser
, and we watch
Confessions of a Teen Idol
. I sometimes start watching
and can't stop. And I have to admit I've watched many,
many episodes of
What Not to Wear
. I am that girl in the hoodie sweatshirt and jeans getting
yelled at because she thinks she's dressing up by wearing a
T-shirt without writing on it.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 28 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 1 hour 3 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 1 hour 50 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2 hours 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM