Bromance Gets the A-List Treatment
BY Ben Walters
March 17 2009 11:00 PM ET
Yet over the past few years other strands of the bromance genre have been nudging closer to overtly acknowledged homoeroticism. Much of this can be ascribed to movies directed or produced by Judd Apatow: The 40-Year-Old Virgin 's fresh take on emotional openness in male friendships, for instance, was followed by Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd's quasi-romantic Las Vegas getaway in Knocked Up . In Superbad , male friendship was not only privileged and romanticized -- "I wanna go to the rooftops and scream, 'I love my best friend Evan!'" Jonah Hill gushes -- but paired with a stream of lovingly crafted doodles of, well, doodles: a delirious barrage of comedic cocks presented in blatant defiance of jibes about masculinity.
Similarly, the buddies in last year's Pineapple Express talked not only about buying each other heart necklaces but about sucking each other off. The line "I wanna be inside you, homes" might have been funny, but it was also a sincere expression of affection. On the minus side, the film also has a flaming scapegoat character -- two steps forward, one mince back, perhaps.
I Love You, Man takes this tolerant tendency to new heights. In the picture, nebbish real estate broker Peter (Rudd) realizes he has no male friends close enough to serve as his best man, so he embarks on a series of "man-dates" that lead to his connection with free-wheeling Sydney (Segel). Bonding over their use of pet names and fondness for Rush (the rock group, not the brand of poppers), the couple connect against a queer backdrop which, unlike that of, say, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry , works in concert with rather than counterpoint to their bond.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 1 hour 23 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 2 hours 23 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 2 hours 53 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM