Kirby Dick Is Outraged!
BY Erika Milvy
April 27 2009 12:00 AM ET
Some might argue that it's somewhat unusual for a
documentary filmmaker to focus on gay subjects when he is
In my opinion the gay rights struggle is the most important
civil rights issue of its time in this country and it affects
all Americans. When any particular group of people is denied
rights, the whole country is harmed by it. I've become more
and more appalled that the right wing has advanced their
platform on the backs of gays and lesbians. I follow politics
very, very closely, and this was an opportunity for me to have
my say and not just have others legislate upon me, so to
Is it easier for a straight person to make this film because
others won't assume you have an ax to grind?
Sometimes, as a filmmaker, not having an investment is more of
a challenge. If I were gay, I could personalize this in a way.
I could talk about coming out of the closet myself and that
could give the film more impact. In some ways being gay is
slightly an advantage.
Do you think this is your most controversial film?
I have to wait and see; I can probably answer that in two
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- PHOTOS: Best of Pride
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Show Your Pride With A Rainbow Filter For Your Facebook Profile Pic
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island