BY Lawrence Ferber
June 03 2009 11:00 PM ET
Was he aware you decided to make a film inspired by your relationship with him?He was very supportive of the film. We were still in contact, but both of us had moved on to see other people. He was one of the first people I asked when I had the seed of the idea; I felt it was something I had to get off my chest and out of my system. A lot of times in an older-younger relationship people don't realize it's not a predator-victim kind of situation. It's a mutual exchange of ideas, and we keep learning things from each other. I think a lot of who I am today is actually from him. How he conducts himself, his ambition, drive, ability to communicate -- he's a great speaker and team leader. I was grateful to have him as a mentor. I would be a lesser person today without his guidance and generosity.
Is your relationship with your mother as strained as your character's?It used to be strained. It has improved. We communicated a lot more after [she saw] the film. She is much more accepting of my sexuality. We do talk about [my being gay] more openly, which does help. I think her main concern as a mom, particularly an Asian, is who do I know, who I am with, and when. When you don't talk about all those things she definitely gets concerned. But once you open up you are able to give her more information about your life, and the sharing is very important.
You showed her the film yourself? Was that awkward?Yes! It was a difficult afternoon, but I decided it was best.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 4 min 20 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 44 min 54 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 42 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 1 hour 56 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 27 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Two and a Half Men's Respectful Job With Trans Character 2 hours 56 min ago