Brüno 's Over-the-Top Deleted Scene
BY William McGuinness
July 07 2009 11:00 PM ET
Jennifer Chamberlain, a representative of NBC/Universal, told The Advocate that the studio did not make the decision to cut the controversial scene; she had no further comment.
Like Borat , critics say Brüno is intended to hold a mirror to the deep-seated prejudices of this country. Day, however, is unconvinced. He said the movie does not expose homophobia because the most offensive scenes, including one in which Brüno pumps his ex with a dildo attached to an exercise bike, occur when no onlookers are present to be offended.
"If the answer is supposed to be 'the audience's,' then something went horribly wrong," Day told The Advocate . "In executing the material he, like any comedian, went where he knew the big laughs were -- on us gays."
Day said gay viewers can get proof by seeing the movie with a straight audience. "You know exactly why they're laughing, and it's not at the homophobes."
Essentially, Brüno has two story lines: one in which he seeks fame and the other in which he purges his gayness to get it.
Day said Brüno's gayness isn't separate from the other story line but central to it.
"What is fame but mass acceptance? What is gay marriage and the right to serve but mass acceptance?" he asked. "Here comes a $40 million movie sold by a $40 million ad campaign saying, basically, aren't gays clueless for thinking we'll love them when they act like that?"
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 29 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM