Brüno and His Discontents
BY William McGuinness
July 09 2009 11:00 PM ET
The film's original title was "Delicious Journeys Through America for the Purpose of Making Heterosexual Males Visibly Uncomfortable in the Presence of a Gay Foreigner in a Mesh T-Shirt." However, "for the Purpose of Making Homosexual Males Uncomfortable in Theaters Full of Straight People" works too. Between laughs, I felt guilty and welcomed the darkness of the theater, afraid to see if other viewers were shooting glances, sizing up just how much Brüno and I are alike.
The title has obviously changed, but much of the original plot is intact, with the exception of a scene featuring LaToya Jackson and an alternative gay-bash ending that insulted some and which studio executives deny existed. Like many others, Brüno comes to Los Angeles looking for fame, but he finds love in the last place he'd look. He tries acting, hosting a talk show, creating world peace, and promoting the latest "super cool" charities, all in the name of grabbing the spotlight. But the efforts leave him running from Orthodox Jews in the Middle East and walking dejected with rows of clothing racks, his assistant, and his exercise bike/dildo in tow.
In Borat, Cohen's target was American ignorance and hypocrisy. Most populations were the butt of some jokes. Brüno , however, makes the LGBT community the whole joke. As the film progresses, the plot becomes less about finding fame and more about finding those cheap summer laughs.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 2 hours 51 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM