Stirring the Pot
BY Brandon Voss
August 07 2009 12:00 AM ET
There's a brief scene in the film during which Julia's husband, Paul Child, is asked if he's a homosexual while being interrogated by the House Committee on Un-American Activities. What were you trying to achieve by giving that particular question focus -- is the audience supposed to question Paul's sexuality as well? No, not at all. That really happened, so I was only trying to be the dutiful storyteller. I thought it was fascinating. After they asked him if he was a homosexual -- and he said he wasn't -- they asked him to drop his pants. What on earth did they think they were going to discover? It gives you an idea of how unbelievably stupid [they] were. It's so bizarre that I didn't even put that into the movie because I was afraid people would think I made it up.
After the success of gay-themed dramas like Brokeback Mountain and Milk , is America ready for a straightforward, mainstream gay rom-com? I don't really count 1997's In & Out because it was so mired in the coming-out process. I guess you don't count Brüno either? [ Laughs ] I think if you make the right funny movie, people will be ready for it, whatever it is.
Would you please write and direct one for us?I'd absolutely consider it, especially if I could find a story that really worked. But there's absolutely no question that it would not be a major studio picture. However many people you might be able to get to come see it, it would be hard to get one of the big studios to believe that there was a wide audience for it -- until one does get made and gets the audience.
Who'd you cast as your lead gay couple?[Long pause] George Clooney and somebody.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 1 hour 57 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 2 hours 57 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM