"When You Grow Up Your Heart Dies"
BY Dave White
August 07 2009 12:00 AM ET
I had quite a bit to say about Going Postal: The Most Shocking Acts of Violence on E! (which stands for "entertainment") and Monsters Inside Me , this great new show on Animal Planet about parasitic infections. I planned to cover those freaky assholes on the news who've been whipped into a frenzy by anti-health care reform corporate influences. I planned to hate Michelle Malkin a little. I planned to celebrate Paris Hilton's new BFF, the gay ex-Mormon. Not that she's less terrifying than they are. But whatever.
And then John Hughes died and all the enthusiasm for that stuff just drained right out of me.
I know that technically he had nothing to do with television. But he did for me and here's why: TBS. That basic cable channel did more to bring Hughes movies into every single last corner of American life than any movie theater ever could. So what if they were broken up by commercials, edited for language, and stripped of music they couldn't clear in the TV rights sales? Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink were always on that station. So was Ferris Bueller's Day Off , Some Kind of Wonderful , Uncle Buck, and She's Having a Baby , which all count in a tangential way. And at Thanksgiving they would show Planes, Trains, and Automobiles a lot. For all I know one of those movies is on that station right now.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 9 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 9 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM