Fergie: Labels and Love
BY Brandon Voss
November 10 2009 11:00 AM ET
Howâ€™d you get along with Rob Marshall? His directorial sensibility mustâ€™ve been quite a change from that of Robert Rodriguez.
Yes, and I embraced it. From the moment I walked into my audition, I fell in love with him and his partner, John. Rob would give me classic Italian films to study like Sophia Lorenâ€™s Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, and he was so nurturing and patient. I swear, even when he was angry at the lighting guy heâ€™d speak in a meditational voice.
Whoâ€™s the most important gay person in your life?
My gay BFF is Sean Patterson, president of Wilhelmina Models, and we always have a blast. Itâ€™s a rule that you have to pick one gay BFF, so heâ€™s mine. But Iâ€™ve had gay friends forever, and theyâ€™ve always been a part of my team and a part of making me successful.
When did you first feel love from the gay audience?
Well, come on, I toured with Cher and Cyndi Lauper in 1999 when I was in Wild Orchid. I love my gays so much, but I donâ€™t think a lot of people know that, which bothers me sometimes. People donâ€™t associate the Black Eyed Peas with the gay market, but our new record is a huge dance record, so people are starting to catch on. I want more gay love!
Gays donâ€™t always know where they stand with straight guys in hip-hop. Do the other three Peas appreciate their gay fans?
Theyâ€™re completely gay-friendly. Are you kidding me? Look at how they dress! [Laughs] Kanye West really did a great thing for hip-hop and made it very mixed and open.
Perez Hilton is one gay will.i.am isnâ€™t so friendly with. How did it feel being linked to their altercation at Juneâ€™s MuchMusic Video Awards?
Honestly, to be real with you, thereâ€™s a court case going on, so Iâ€™m really not allowed to speak about it.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM