Fergie: Labels and Love
BY Brandon Voss
November 10 2009 10:00 AM ET
How’d you get along with Rob Marshall? His directorial sensibility must’ve been quite a change from that of Robert Rodriguez.
Yes, and I embraced it. From the moment I walked into my audition, I fell in love with him and his partner, John. Rob would give me classic Italian films to study like Sophia Loren’s Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, and he was so nurturing and patient. I swear, even when he was angry at the lighting guy he’d speak in a meditational voice.
Who’s the most important gay person in your life?
My gay BFF is Sean Patterson, president of Wilhelmina Models, and we always have a blast. It’s a rule that you have to pick one gay BFF, so he’s mine. But I’ve had gay friends forever, and they’ve always been a part of my team and a part of making me successful.
When did you first feel love from the gay audience?
Well, come on, I toured with Cher and Cyndi Lauper in 1999 when I was in Wild Orchid. I love my gays so much, but I don’t think a lot of people know that, which bothers me sometimes. People don’t associate the Black Eyed Peas with the gay market, but our new record is a huge dance record, so people are starting to catch on. I want more gay love!
Gays don’t always know where they stand with straight guys in hip-hop. Do the other three Peas appreciate their gay fans?
They’re completely gay-friendly. Are you kidding me? Look at how they dress! [Laughs] Kanye West really did a great thing for hip-hop and made it very mixed and open.
Perez Hilton is one gay will.i.am isn’t so friendly with. How did it feel being linked to their altercation at June’s MuchMusic Video Awards?
Honestly, to be real with you, there’s a court case going on, so I’m really not allowed to speak about it.
- Television Bette Midler to Play Mae West in HBO Biopic 1 hour 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 1 hour 52 min ago
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 8:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (or Not So Best) of LGBT Holiday Choirs 5:00 AM