Fergie: Labels and Love
BY Brandon Voss
November 10 2009 11:00 AM ET
How’d you get along with Rob Marshall? His directorial sensibility must’ve been quite a change from that of Robert Rodriguez.
Yes, and I embraced it. From the moment I walked into my audition, I fell in love with him and his partner, John. Rob would give me classic Italian films to study like Sophia Loren’s Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, and he was so nurturing and patient. I swear, even when he was angry at the lighting guy he’d speak in a meditational voice.
Who’s the most important gay person in your life?
My gay BFF is Sean Patterson, president of Wilhelmina Models, and we always have a blast. It’s a rule that you have to pick one gay BFF, so he’s mine. But I’ve had gay friends forever, and they’ve always been a part of my team and a part of making me successful.
When did you first feel love from the gay audience?
Well, come on, I toured with Cher and Cyndi Lauper in 1999 when I was in Wild Orchid. I love my gays so much, but I don’t think a lot of people know that, which bothers me sometimes. People don’t associate the Black Eyed Peas with the gay market, but our new record is a huge dance record, so people are starting to catch on. I want more gay love!
Gays don’t always know where they stand with straight guys in hip-hop. Do the other three Peas appreciate their gay fans?
They’re completely gay-friendly. Are you kidding me? Look at how they dress! [Laughs] Kanye West really did a great thing for hip-hop and made it very mixed and open.
Perez Hilton is one gay will.i.am isn’t so friendly with. How did it feel being linked to their altercation at June’s MuchMusic Video Awards?
Honestly, to be real with you, there’s a court case going on, so I’m really not allowed to speak about it.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- A Letter to My Partners
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 46 min 8 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 55 sec ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 1 hour 3 min ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 10 min ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 23 min ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 10:23 AM