Jason Schwartzman: Crazy Like a Fox
BY Brandon Voss
November 12 2009 10:00 AM ET
Yes, congrats on your summer marriage to clothing designer Brady Cunningham. More and more celebrities have come out in support of marriage equality by declaring that they won’t marry until everyone can legally marry, but I guess you didn’t get that memo.
See? I feel like I don’t know a lot of what’s happening in the world, so I have to get better about that. But you know who married me? Jonathan Ames. He got ordained through the Universal Life Church.
Has there been any amusing confusion over the fact that your wife’s name, Brady, is traditionally a boy’s name?
[Laughs] No, not yet, but I’m always up for confusion. The last thing I want is for everything to be normal.
Then you must not mind gay rumors.
Oh, are there really rumors about me? That’s fine if there are. What can I do about it? Like I said, I enjoy confusion and fear normalcy.
What are your thoughts on the Hollywood closet?
First of all, I’ve never worked with anyone I knew to be in the closet. I have a lot of gay friends, but no one’s ever hidden it from me. Listen, I don’t know the point of life, but I do know it feels best in those moments you’re really living. I’ve been the unhappiest when I feel closed off out of fear. Everyone — gay, not gay, closet, or walk-in closet — should have the life they deserve. Don’t make your life any smaller than it should be.
If nothing else, Jason, I hope our little chat has bolstered your self-esteem and made you better aware of your gay fans.
Thanks, because I’m not aware of any fans. I do nothing to live in secrecy, but I really don’t get recognized anywhere. Though I was walking my dog recently when someone yelled, “Hey, Jason!” They said it so sweetly that I turned around and said, “Hey!” Then they said, “Fuck you, you asshole!” and drove away.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 49 min 51 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 27 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 31 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM