Jason Schwartzman: Crazy Like a Fox
BY Brandon Voss
November 12 2009 9:00 AM ET
Yes, congrats on your summer marriage to clothing designer Brady Cunningham. More and more celebrities have come out in support of marriage equality by declaring that they won’t marry until everyone can legally marry, but I guess you didn’t get that memo.
See? I feel like I don’t know a lot of what’s happening in the world, so I have to get better about that. But you know who married me? Jonathan Ames. He got ordained through the Universal Life Church.
Has there been any amusing confusion over the fact that your wife’s name, Brady, is traditionally a boy’s name?
[Laughs] No, not yet, but I’m always up for confusion. The last thing I want is for everything to be normal.
Then you must not mind gay rumors.
Oh, are there really rumors about me? That’s fine if there are. What can I do about it? Like I said, I enjoy confusion and fear normalcy.
What are your thoughts on the Hollywood closet?
First of all, I’ve never worked with anyone I knew to be in the closet. I have a lot of gay friends, but no one’s ever hidden it from me. Listen, I don’t know the point of life, but I do know it feels best in those moments you’re really living. I’ve been the unhappiest when I feel closed off out of fear. Everyone — gay, not gay, closet, or walk-in closet — should have the life they deserve. Don’t make your life any smaller than it should be.
If nothing else, Jason, I hope our little chat has bolstered your self-esteem and made you better aware of your gay fans.
Thanks, because I’m not aware of any fans. I do nothing to live in secrecy, but I really don’t get recognized anywhere. Though I was walking my dog recently when someone yelled, “Hey, Jason!” They said it so sweetly that I turned around and said, “Hey!” Then they said, “Fuck you, you asshole!” and drove away.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 1 hour 30 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 2 hours 29 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 2 hours 30 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM