BY Brandon Voss
November 12 2009 10:00 AM ET
Yes, congrats on your summer marriage to clothing designer Brady
Cunningham. More and more celebrities have come out in support of
marriage equality by declaring that they won’t marry until everyone can
legally marry, but I guess you didn’t get that memo.
See? I feel
like I don’t know a lot of what’s happening in the world, so I have to
get better about that. But you know who married me? Jonathan Ames. He
got ordained through the Universal Life Church.
Has there been any amusing confusion over the fact that your wife’s name, Brady, is traditionally a boy’s name?
[Laughs] No, not yet, but I’m always up for confusion. The last thing I want is for everything to be normal.
Then you must not mind gay rumors.
are there really rumors about me? That’s fine if there are. What can I
do about it? Like I said, I enjoy confusion and fear normalcy.
What are your thoughts on the Hollywood closet?
First of all, I’ve never worked with anyone I knew to be in the closet. I have a lot of gay friends, but no one’s ever hidden it from me. Listen, I don’t know the point of life, but I do know it feels best in those moments you’re really living. I’ve been the unhappiest when I feel closed off out of fear. Everyone -- gay, not gay, closet, or walk-in closet -- should have the life they deserve. Don’t make your life any smaller than it should be.
If nothing else, Jason, I hope our little chat has bolstered your self-esteem and made you better aware of your gay fans.
Thanks, because I’m not aware of any fans. I do nothing to live in secrecy, but I really don’t get recognized anywhere. Though I was walking my dog recently when someone yelled, “Hey, Jason!” They said it so sweetly that I turned around and said, “Hey!” Then they said, “Fuck you, you asshole!” and drove away.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM