Julianne Moore: A Singular Woman
BY Brandon Voss
January 13 2010 11:00 AM ET
Have you ever fallen for a gay man?
And wanted to have sex with him? Just Tom Ford. [Laughs] When I was a freshman in college in 1979, there was this hot gay guy that I used to make out with in the hallways of the dorm. My idea about gay was very foggy at the time. He was the first out gay person Iâ€™d ever met and he was kissing me, so I didnâ€™t know what was happening.
Did you ever experiment with women?
Honestly, it was mostly girls kind of sitting around and telling each other dirty stories. There was a lot of that, actually, but thatâ€™s about it.
Youâ€™ve worked with a number of notable gay directors before Tom Ford. Are you drawn to their sensibility or vice versa?
Well, thereâ€™s Tom Kalin, Todd Haynes, Gus Van Sant... Although Iâ€™ve also made 40-something films, so you have to think, Well, if 10 percent of the population is gay... Sexuality has never come into the equation for me, because Iâ€™m only interested in the scripts and the stories. Iâ€™ve been lucky enough to get some great ones, and a lot of them have come from gay men and women.
Your sexually ambiguous roles in The Hours, Psycho, and the upcoming Chloe aside, you've also played some outright lesbians, most recently in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee and next in The Kids Are All Right. Is a different sexual inclination from your own ever part of what draws you to a character?
Not necessarily sexual inclination but certainly something different temperament-wise. I was very attracted to playing Kat in Pippa Lee because sheâ€™s very tough and inscrutable.
Not because of Katâ€™s unfortunate lesbian haircut?
My mullet? I chose that mullet, man! It was a half-wig. I was going for a Jane Fonda in Klute thing. In The Kids Are All Right the hair is just like my own hair â€” long and plain.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 13 min 29 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 13 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 58 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM