Julianne Moore on De-Gayed
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 03 2010 6:20 PM ET
Continuing a conversation she had in the February issue of The Advocate, Julianne Moore talked with BlackBook about the perceived de-gaying of her new film, A Single Man.
Moore, who was regrettably shut out of an Oscar nomination for her work in the film, talks about director Tom Ford putting a stop to the use of a poster that made A Single Man look like a romantic comedy vehicle for Moore and Colin Firth.
“There was an initial poster that had a shot of Colin and me lying down together, and Tom was the one who said, ‘No, I don’t want that poster.’ It made A Single Man look like a romantic comedy, which it’s most certainly not. He’s the one who changed that poster.”
She goes on to say she thinks studio executives regularly under estimate movie audiences and that the film should speak for itself. De-gaying it is a mistake, she says, but playing it up as some sort of gay event movie isn’t good either.
“I was talking to somebody at The Advocate recently and he said, ‘Tom Ford has been saying that it’s not a gay love story.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s because he’s been saying that it’s a universal love story.’ The minute you start to reduce something by saying, ‘It’s gay,’ or, ‘It’s straight,’ it becomes niche. You ghettoize it by saying that it only belongs in one place. That’s what’s so remarkable about A Single Man. It’s really about love and loss — period.”
Read the full interview here.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 38 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM