Julianne Moore on De-Gayed
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 03 2010 7:20 PM ET
Continuing a conversation she had in the February issue of The Advocate, Julianne Moore talked with BlackBook about the perceived de-gaying of her new film, A Single Man.
Moore, who was regrettably shut out of an Oscar nomination for her work in the film, talks about director Tom Ford putting a stop to the use of a poster that made A Single Man look like a romantic comedy vehicle for Moore and Colin Firth.
“There was an initial poster that had a shot of Colin and me lying down together, and Tom was the one who said, ‘No, I don’t want that poster.’ It made A Single Man look like a romantic comedy, which it’s most certainly not. He’s the one who changed that poster.”
She goes on to say she thinks studio executives regularly under estimate movie audiences and that the film should speak for itself. De-gaying it is a mistake, she says, but playing it up as some sort of gay event movie isn’t good either.
“I was talking to somebody at The Advocate recently and he said, ‘Tom Ford has been saying that it’s not a gay love story.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s because he’s been saying that it’s a universal love story.’ The minute you start to reduce something by saying, ‘It’s gay,’ or, ‘It’s straight,’ it becomes niche. You ghettoize it by saying that it only belongs in one place. That’s what’s so remarkable about A Single Man. It’s really about love and loss — period.”
Read the full interview here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM