When Movies Were Movies
BY Trudy Ring
April 15 2010 8:30 AM ET
With some under themes such as “Hollywood on Hollywood,” “Vanity Fair’s Tales of Hollywood,” “The Film Foundation” (restoration), and “The Hustons: A Hollywood Dynasty,” other likely festival highlights include:
- Midnight Cowboy, the 1969 Oscar winner from gay director John Schlesinger (who took home a statuette for Best Director). It’s the only X-rated film to win Best Picture, with the X subsequently having been appropriated by porn flicks and replaced by NC-17 in the MPAA rating system; Midnight Cowboy’s rating was eventually revised to an R. Jon Voight, who starred with Dustin Hoffman, will be on hand to discuss the film.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Op-ed: Indiana's 'Turn Away Gays' Bill Is a Segregation-Era Throwback
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'