When Movies Were Movies
BY Trudy Ring
April 15 2010 8:30 AM ET
- North by Northwest, the 1959 Alfred Hitchcock classic starring Cary Grant, introduced by cast members Eva Marie Saint and Martin Landau. The latter had a small but memorable role as Leonard, henchman to villain Philip Vandamm (James Mason) — Leonard reads clearly as gay to any savvy viewer. Landau will appear at screenings of two of his other films as well: Cleopatra, where he’ll be joined by director Joe Mankiewicz’s son Tom, and Woody Allen’s Crimes and Misdemeanors, alongside costar Anjelica Huston.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Surprising No One, Texas State Senate Reaffirms Opposition to Marriage Equality