15 Films That Ticked Off Gay Audiences
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 23 2010 2:35 PM ET
Basic Instinct (1992)
Groups including the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation opposed Basic Instinct’s depiction of a sex-crazed bisexual novelist being investigated for murder. Several gay groups boycotted the film’s opening, charging that the character of Catherine Tramell (Sharon Stone) was offensive and homophobic. Film critic Roger Ebert, however, noted that the film’s heterosexual characters are equally unethical, and bisexual writer Camille Paglia called Basic Instinct her “favorite film.” Stone has since become an advocate for gay rights and AIDS research.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?