15 Films That Ticked Off Gay Audiences
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 23 2010 3:35 PM ET
Basic Instinct (1992)
Groups including the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation opposed Basic Instinct’s depiction of a sex-crazed bisexual novelist being investigated for murder. Several gay groups boycotted the film’s opening, charging that the character of Catherine Tramell (Sharon Stone) was offensive and homophobic. Film critic Roger Ebert, however, noted that the film’s heterosexual characters are equally unethical, and bisexual writer Camille Paglia called Basic Instinct her “favorite film.” Stone has since become an advocate for gay rights and AIDS research.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- PHOTOS: The Bare Truths of Trans Men