When Bears Attack
BY Brandon Voss
July 16 2010 10:15 AM ET
Lawrence Ferber and director Douglas Langway
Unfortunately, I’ve missed out on all the steamy sex scenes featuring hirsute muscle daddies like Broadway stud Sebastian LaCause, but after only a few takes of the quippy barroom exchange I find myself sucked into the everyday dramas of this ragtag group of bears and their admirers. Though this ursine story of love and friendship was originally conceived as a series of webisodes, TLA Releasing, which will distribute the film next year, encouraged Ferber and Langway to create a furry full-length feature.
The pitch? “Sex and the City with bears,” says Ferber, an entertainment journalist (and frequent Advocate contributor) also known for his short films Cruise Control and Birthday Time. “Bears will now finally have their own date movie.”
“The New York bear community has come out in droves to support the film, which could not have been realized without their creative input and passion,” says Langway, who’s either a bear or a chub or something else entirely, depending on whom you ask. But along with manly men of all imposing shapes, sizes, and hair patterns, there are some suspiciously smooth and slender sisters on set.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 23 min 38 sec ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 25 min 39 sec ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 26 min 8 sec ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 35 min 8 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 44 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 54 min 24 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again 1 hour 42 min ago