When Bears Attack
BY Brandon Voss
July 16 2010 10:15 AM ET
Behind the scenes
Among a group of beefy, baseball-capped extras now emerging from their handsomely catered holding den is a tall, thin, full-bearded 20-something hipster-type rocking a necktie and white corset. He tells me he brought in his own corset from home “just in case” and that the wardrobe department loved it. Sure, his face looks like a schnauzer, but what’s this dude doing in a bear movie?
“It’s definitely for the bears, but we want our film to resonate universally,” says Ferber, who may or may not qualify as a cub. “Our lead character, Tyler — our ‘Carrie,’ if you will -- is actually a twink who enters this world of bears, so there’s an entry point for everyone. To me, a bear is a stocky, hairy, masculine guy, but there’s this whole politicizing of the labels that I’m not really involved in. My job is to make every line as witty and noncliché as possible. I’m somewhat familiar with the bear scene, but Doug is our bear expert.”
Though he’s not crazy about the label “bear expert,” stressing instead the idea that “bear is a state of mind,” America’s first bearcentric rom-com does appear to be in capable paws with Langway, who helmed the 1996 gay mobster flick Raising Heroes.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2 hours 6 min ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2 hours 8 min ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 2 hours 9 min ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 2 hours 27 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 2 hours 37 min ago