Bollywood Gay Film Hits Screens
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 12 2010 2:25 PM ET
The gay-themed film touted as Bollywood’s answer to Brokeback Mountain opened in India to mixed reactions Friday.
Dunno Y ... Na Jaane Kyun, the first Bollywood movie to explicitly portray a gay romance, deals with an affair between two middle-class Mumbai men. It includes scenes of them kissing — the first gay male kiss in an Indian film — and sharing a bed. It was scheduled to be released in May but was held up for further editing, as director Sanjay Sharma dealt with government censors.
Stars Yuvraaj Parashar (pictured, left) and Kapil Sharma (pictured, right), the director’s brother, have both faced repercussions regarding their participation in the film. Parashar says his family has disowned him; Sharma has had support from family and friends, but he says he has received threatening letters from strangers.
Gay activists in India welcomed the release. “I definitely feel this film is going to encourage filmmakers to make more realistic films ... and bring about better understanding in the minds of the Indian audience,” Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil told the BBC. Meanwhile, John Dayal of the All India Christian Council told the network, “Practically the entire religious spectrum in India is united in its opposition to the celebration of homosexuality. Not one of them says it’s a good thing, a natural thing.”
Click here for reports from The Huffington Post and the BBC.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 35 min 11 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 14 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 44 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 52 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 59 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 42 min ago