And the Gay Razzie Goes To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 25 2011 4:00 PM ET
Alexis Smith: Once is Not Enough — 1975
1940s starlet Smith is not only gorgeous, she’s a hoot as the world’s richest closeted lesbian torn between a penniless movie director (Kirk Douglas) and an enigmatic Garbo-esque star (Melina Mercouri)—only this isn’t a comedy. This glossy but ultimately lethargic film was adapted from the torrid bestseller by Valley of the Dolls author Jacqueline Susann, who allegedly based the character Smith plays on one-time wife of Cary Grant, heiress Barbara Hutton.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris Explains He Got Married for His Kids