And the Gay Razzie Goes To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 25 2011 3:00 PM ET
Alexis Smith: Once is Not Enough — 1975
1940s starlet Smith is not only gorgeous, she’s a hoot as the world’s richest closeted lesbian torn between a penniless movie director (Kirk Douglas) and an enigmatic Garbo-esque star (Melina Mercouri)—only this isn’t a comedy. This glossy but ultimately lethargic film was adapted from the torrid bestseller by Valley of the Dolls author Jacqueline Susann, who allegedly based the character Smith plays on one-time wife of Cary Grant, heiress Barbara Hutton.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Op-ed: Male Gays and the Male Gaze
- A Best-Case, Worst-Case Look at the Supreme Court's Options
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples