And the Gay Razzie Goes To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 25 2011 4:00 PM ET
Alexis Smith: Once is Not Enough — 1975
1940s starlet Smith is not only gorgeous, she’s a hoot as the world’s richest closeted lesbian torn between a penniless movie director (Kirk Douglas) and an enigmatic Garbo-esque star (Melina Mercouri)—only this isn’t a comedy. This glossy but ultimately lethargic film was adapted from the torrid bestseller by Valley of the Dolls author Jacqueline Susann, who allegedly based the character Smith plays on one-time wife of Cary Grant, heiress Barbara Hutton.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015
- 'Mom, I'm Trans': Comparing Our Coming-Out Experiences to Caitlyn Jenner's