And the Gay Razzie Goes To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 25 2011 4:00 PM ET
Michael Greer: The Gay Deceivers — 1969
The year of the Stonewall riots was obviously a bad one for gay characters in the movies, as this exploitative curiosity proves. Two straight draft dodgers pretend to be a couple and move into a gay housing complex managed by Malcolm (Michael Greer, center), the swishiest homosexual in San Francisco. Hilarity doesn’t ensue. Perhaps the blame doesn’t rest entirely with Greer, who was gay, and is reported to have lobbied the director to tone down the negative characteristic of his flamboyant character, such as practically having a nervous breakdown when someone steps in his flowerbed.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Amber Heard: 'I Don’t Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'