Christopher Plummer: Happy Father’s Gay
BY Brandon Voss
June 17 2011 8:55 AM ET
When Hal comes out, he finds a sense of community with a group of gay friends. They have dinner parties, they have bad movie nights, they write political letters, etc. Did you come away from the film with any insights about gay culture?
I don’t think I learned anything particularly different or new. I think I’d seen enough of those gatherings in our business. They happen a lot — how can you avoid it? But Hal obviously welcomed all of it because he now felt comfortable around all these people who had no axes to grind. The happiness that radiated through him because of all that is what made it so touching.
According to Ewan, most of the actors who play Hal’s gay friends were actually gay. Did they bring a sense of authenticity to those scenes of camaraderie?
Yes, they did.
In a brief but memorable scene, Hal goes to a gay nightclub. It’s not exactly an everyday occurrence to see Christopher Plummer dancing in a gay club.
I believe it was a real gay club, but those were all just extras, of course. That was a good scene.
Have you been fielding many cheeky, salacious questions from journalists about your more intimate kissing scenes with costar Goran Visnjic?
No, I have not. It’s a movie, my friend, and the movie doesn’t invite that.
So I guess I should skip over my next series of questions.
I would not entertain them anyway.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM