10 Great LGBT Military Movies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 23 2011 5:00 AM ET
In honor of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal, we wanted to
mention military flicks that are actually relevant to a queer or trans audience.
But leaving out documentaries (like the brilliant Paragraph 175) and some great films like Aimee &
Jaguar and November Moon — all of which tackle the Nazi war era but from a
primarily civilian perspective — it’s clear that movies about LGBT soldiers are
still in their infancy.
Perhaps in the next decade we’ll see our community serving
openly in a flourish of diverse military films (like A Few Good Men, Universal Soldier, Avatar,
all of which we could argue for inclusion on this list but none that have
openly LGBT characters).
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- REPORT: Bisexuals Face Biphobia at Doctor's Office, LGBT Groups
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut