10 Great LGBT Military Movies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 23 2011 4:00 AM ET
In honor of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal, we wanted to
mention military flicks that are actually relevant to a queer or trans audience.
But leaving out documentaries (like the brilliant Paragraph 175) and some great films like Aimee &
Jaguar and November Moon — all of which tackle the Nazi war era but from a
primarily civilian perspective — it’s clear that movies about LGBT soldiers are
still in their infancy.
Perhaps in the next decade we’ll see our community serving
openly in a flourish of diverse military films (like A Few Good Men, Universal Soldier, Avatar,
all of which we could argue for inclusion on this list but none that have
openly LGBT characters).
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM