10 Great LGBT Military Movies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 23 2011 5:00 AM ET
In honor of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal, we wanted to
mention military flicks that are actually relevant to a queer or trans audience.
But leaving out documentaries (like the brilliant Paragraph 175) and some great films like Aimee &
Jaguar and November Moon — all of which tackle the Nazi war era but from a
primarily civilian perspective — it’s clear that movies about LGBT soldiers are
still in their infancy.
Perhaps in the next decade we’ll see our community serving
openly in a flourish of diverse military films (like A Few Good Men, Universal Soldier, Avatar,
all of which we could argue for inclusion on this list but none that have
openly LGBT characters).
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 14 min 53 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 14 min 53 sec ago
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 14 min 53 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM