10 Great LGBT Military Movies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 23 2011 4:00 AM ET
In honor of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal, we wanted to
mention military flicks that are actually relevant to a queer or trans audience.
But leaving out documentaries (like the brilliant Paragraph 175) and some great films like Aimee &
Jaguar and November Moon — all of which tackle the Nazi war era but from a
primarily civilian perspective — it’s clear that movies about LGBT soldiers are
still in their infancy.
Perhaps in the next decade we’ll see our community serving
openly in a flourish of diverse military films (like A Few Good Men, Universal Soldier, Avatar,
all of which we could argue for inclusion on this list but none that have
openly LGBT characters).
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Kansas Gov., ACLU Up Ante on Both Sides of Marriage Fight