10 Great LGBT Military Movies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 23 2011 5:00 AM ET
As the sheltered, spoiled Paris Hilton of her day, Goldie
Hawn is brilliant as the Jewish American Judy Goodman-Benjamin, a woman who
accidentally enlists in the Army after her hubby drops dead during sex on their
wedding night. Boot camp kicks her ass, but Private Benjamin discovers she’s
got a fight in her as well. Oft her nemesis, is the excellent Eileen Brennan as
Doreen Lewis, an uptight military rule-seeker who finds Benjamin’s
frivolousness contemptuous. Lewis — who’s played for laughs a lot — starts the
film in love with a man but in later scenes finds her constant companion in
Sally Kirkland’s Helga and while a big bisexual (or lesbian) coming out would
have been nice, this is the Army pre-2011we’re talking about.
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide