10 Great LGBT Military Movies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 23 2011 5:00 AM ET
(1981) Gay Adjacent
This Bill Murray classic is an early one for the comedy
king, who has played transgender (Ed Wood),
gay adjacent (What About Bob, Little
Shop of Horrors), and a lover of lesbians (Wild
Things, Broken Flowers). Murray and Ivan Reitman (himself a comedy legend,
behind the screen mostly) are new Army inducts at the start of the film, where
a hilarious exchange between a recruiter in the pre-DADT era shows how much the
funny men’s characters were OK with their sexualities. As the recruiter asks if
either is gay, Murray says, “You mean like flaming?” and Reitman says “No but
we’re willing to learn.” Hilarious.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples