Kellan Lutz: Kellan Me Softly
BY Brandon Voss
October 18 2011 3:00 AM ET
You made a video for the Love is Louder campaign, which was created in response to teen suicides connected with antigay bullying. After revealing that you grew up feeling alone, you say, “Jesus was always there. Jesus is love, and love is louder.” How did your religious beliefs affect your views on gay people?
I was raised in a Christian family, and I’m a Christian, but the only commandment that I really live by is “Love your neighbor as yourself.” It doesn’t matter who a person is or what they’re into, you just show them love. If they’re happy, be happy for them. Be a believer, have faith in something, but no one’s right or wrong. Just be a good person. If we were all just one loving world, stuff would be so much easier.
You appeared as the man-candy in Hilary Duff’s “With Love” video. Why did you turn down the chance to star opposite Britney Spears in her “I Wanna Go” video?
That was really tough. I love Britney, and I would’ve loved the opportunity, but there were a couple of weird things about the part that didn’t make sense — like that milk-pouring scene? Hopefully I’ll get to work with Britney on something else. Back to the Hilary Duff video, that was one of those things where I was like, “This isn’t me. I’m not this good-looking guy who’s going to book this.” It’s funny, because when I don’t think I’m right for something, I end up booking it. It baffled me that I even got a callback for that.
How is it possible that you’re not a part of Magic Mike, Steven Soderbergh’s upcoming movie about male strippers? You might want to call your agent.
I actually did call about that. They got Alex Pettyfer for the role I would’ve been right for, and there wasn’t really another role for me in it. But it’s got a great cast, and I think it’s going to be well received. Channing Tatum’s story is amazing, and it’s very ballsy for him to tell it.
You’ve mentioned your roommates in various interviews, and you once told Jimmy Kimmel an anecdote about an unfortunately worded Craigslist ad for new roommates that accidentally attracted a bunch of gay guys. Would a house full of gay roomies really be such a bad thing?
Honestly, I’d prefer to live with gay guys. They’re the cleanest, and they just take care of stuff. Because I’m always away, coming home to a clean house means a lot to me. Trust me, I’ve lived with a lot of roommates, and straight guys are just kids who don’t pick up after themselves.
- New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM