Juno Temple: Talk
BY Jeremy Kinser
January 17 2012 1:14 PM ET
What message does Dirty Girl have for kids who are being bullied?
I think the moral of the movie is to not judge a book by its cover and to have friendships that allow you to blossom and be who you are. I love the relationship between Clarke and Danielle so much because they go on such a journey together. They listen to each other and care for one another. They really change and nurture each other. He teaches her about family and in the end she learns to appreciate her mom, which she hadn’t done. And let’s be honest moms are the great people in the world. It blows my mind to see what other kids can find to bully other kids about. It’s just ridiculous what humanity does sometimes. I think this movie sends out a message to just be who you are. Not everyone’s going to like it, but some people will and it will rock your world.
You’ve been in a lot of films with gay and lesbian content. Is it just a coincidence or are you drawn to films about marginalized people?
I think it’s not a coincidence. I’m drawn to those characters, but it’s not something I seek out. I think people should be whatever they want to be. That some people are punished or tortured for being gay is just baffling to me. I have no qualms about playing someone like that. I’m so proud to have gay people in my life. If you can be out and proud, it’s a magical thing. I’d take any role like that if it’s a good character and I think I can play it. Love is love. You can’t help whom you fall in love with.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 53 min 56 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 48 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 53 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM