WATCH: Liza Minnelli Celebrates 40 Years of
BY Jeremy Kinser
April 13 2012 1:50 PM ET
Liza Minnelli and a star-studded audience of Old Hollywood favorites helped launch the third annual TCM Classic Film Festival with a newly restored 40th anniversary screening of Cabaret.
Before the film TCM host Robert Osborne interviewed cast members Minnelli, Joey Grey, and Michael York, who each shared memories about making the 1972 musical. Minnelli, who won an Academy Award for best actress for her signature performance as Sally Bowles, said late director Bob Fosse was allowed to get away with making the film he wanted because he shot it in Germany far from the prying eyes of studio executives. She recalled that when Fosse would receive telegrams from the studio he'd read them aloud to his cast and crew before tearing them up in front of them. Grey shared that he believed Fosse preferred making straight films and considered Cabaret a straight film with musical numbers, rather than a musical film.
Before the film, a section of Hollywood Boulevard in front of Graumann's Theatre was blocked off to allow for a red carpet walkway and re-premiere of the acclaimed film, which won eight Academy Awards and is still considered one of the greatest and most innovative musical films ever made. Other celebrities in attendance included Debbie Reynolds, Mickey Rooney, Tippi Hedren, Barbara Rush, Rose McGowan, Jennifer Grey, Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Grey, and Illeana Douglas.
The TCM Film Festival continues through April 15. For more information go here. Watch footage from the red carpet below.
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 30 min 39 sec ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 1 hour 31 min ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 2 hours 31 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM